Sunday, May 3, 2009

THE PUNCH THAT SHOCKED THE WEST

I had been a big fan of the “PACMAN”. I was just one of the million of fans that streamed to the tv sets while the PACMAN hits the canvass. Today May 3, 2009 (Philippine Time) is no different.

Everything comes into a halt. Appointments cancelled. Work set aside. Traffic jams no more. Downtown is enveloped with a deafening silence.

Me and a couple of friends were glued to the makeshift screen at a local resto. Admittedly it was my first time to watch it together with other PACMAN fans and the euphoria is so strong that it was almost unbelievable. The mere sight of Manny on the screen send people clapping.

Then finally, it is TIME. MGM readies itself with the one of the greatest fight of the year. Martin Nievera sang the Philippine National Anthem and it sent me into trance…I was proud to be a Filipino…It was yet one of the best renditions of our national anthem with Martin jazzing it set every Filipino spirit in the mood. Everyone in the room was clapping and shouting…I guess everyone else shared my emotions. Well, one of the blunders of the day was when Manny was introduced as someone from Saranggani, Philippines (for so long he was from Gensan). The announcement shocked the whole room. I thought it had ruined everyone’s mood… I was wrong… It may have shocked us but who cares…It is still Manny …saan man xa lupalop ng Pilipinas pinulot!

Everyone was at the edge of their seats when finally Michael Buffer uttered his famous line. “Let’s get ready to rumble…” Everyone was shouting and clapping for every punch of the PACMAN. It didn’t even take 10 seconds into the game and everyone was up on their feet especially when the PACMAN sent Hatton into the canvass for the first time. (I swear I was on top of my chair…jumping like crazy..all hands up in the air.) I couldn’t care less, everyone was doing the same!

Then, as fast as it had began it was all over. Manny, again made everyone proud, ecstatic, happy, satisfied…THE WEST got the biggest shock of their life with the PACMAN sending the HITMAN to dreamland. The years greatest fight had turned out to be a historic win for every Filipino.

Yet again the PACMAN taught this nation one great lesson:

“TO GOD BE THE GLORY…
…WITH HARDWORK AND PRAYERS NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE…”

No comments: